How to measure the hooves of your horse?
Before being able to determine what is the best size of Flex Hoof Boots™ for your horse your horse needs, please take a moment and read these instructions.
Be sure to take the measurements of the hoof not more than 1 or 2 days after a fresh trim.
- Draw an imaginary line from heel to heel. Make sure that the heel is trimmed properly and that the weight bearing area is in the right position.
- From that line pull another line straight to the toe.
- Now you can measure the length of the hoof.
- DO NOT MEASURE BUTTRESS, only the weight bearing area of the hoof wall.
- Draw another line from the widest part of the hoof across the sole to the other side.
- This is the width of the hoof.
- You can use Flex Hoof Boots™ for hooves of many different sizes and shapes. If however, the width of the hoof exceeds 10 mm in length, this boot is not perfect for your horse.
- If the hoof is very narrow and the horse has a habit of twisting her/his legs strongly, every boot in the market will twist on this kind of hoof. If you want to use FlexHorse boots in this kind of hooves, please contact us so that we can find a solution together. Many times, a solution exists.
- We have learned over years of using and selling many brands of boots, that any boot can fall off during a fast speed gallop, if the horse steps on his front heels with his hind legs. FlexHorse boots, when properly fitted, are very sleek so usually they do not fall off in a situation like this. However, as we are talking about heavy and powerful animal, we just cannot be sure. If your horse has this problem with FlexHorse boots, or your horse is nervous in trails and jumps around and steps on his feet, please consider using bell boots on FlexHorse boots. It is perfectly normal to cover the legs from hit of the iron shoe, why not cover the boots from the hit of the leg?
- If you are not sure about the size after measuring the hoof, please contact your dealer for help. You may also ask for fitting shells, with which finding the right is easy.